- Yusuf Datti Baba-Ahmed is virtually on the lips of all political affairs analysts in Nigeria at the moment
- The Kaduna-born politician and economist has been chosen as the running mate to Peter Obi, Labour Party presidential candidate
- His choice has gone down well with supporters of the party as they see him as a perfect match for Obi in the joint ticket
FCT, Abuja – Labour Party (LP) is set to unveil Senator Yusuf Datti Baba-Ahmed as the vice-presidential candidate of its presidential candidate, Mr. Peter Obi on Friday, July 8.
Doyin Okupe, who was made the placeholder for the position has since stepped down from the position to pave the way for Baba-Ahmed.
The choice of Baba-Ahmed has sparked a frenzy on social media among supporters of the Labour Party.
Legit.ng lists seven key things to know about Baba-Ahmed
PAY ATTENTION: Share your outstanding story with our editors! Please reach us through firstname.lastname@example.org!
1. Born in 1975, Baba-Ahmed is a Nigerian economist and politician who served as senator for Kaduna North Senatorial District from 2011 to 2012 and member of the House of Representatives from 2003 to 2007.
2. He attended the University of Maiduguri, where he studied economics, up to the MSc level. He had his NYSC at the Federal University of Agriculture in Abeokuta. He has an MBA from the University of Wales, Cardiff, and a PhD in Philosophy from the University of Winchester.
3. He has experience working as projects coordinator, Baze Research, and Data Services Ltd., and as Officer II in the Nigerian Security Printing and Minting Company, Lagos.
4. He also worked as a Banking Officer, First Bank of Nigeria Plc from July 1997 to December 1998 and then came back to become the Managing Director of Baze Research and Data Services Ltd in July 1999 – January 2003, before venturing into politics.
5. As a lawmaker in the Green Chambers, he was vociferous and one of the leading figures who opposed the third-term agenda of former President Olusegun Obasanjo.
6. Senator Baba-Ahmed is currently the Managing Director, Baze Research & Data Service Ltd, Chairman, Baze Construction Ltd, Pro-Chancellor, Baze University, Abuja, and founder Baze University Hospital, Abuja.
7. His companies employ a total of over 1000 people including expatriates, and highly skilled professional Nigerians from the Diaspora.
How Labour Party supporters urge Peter Obi to pick Baba-Ahmed
Legit.ng had reported that Obi was advised by several of his supporters on social media to pick Baba-Ahmed as his running mate.
Many of the Labour Party supporters say Baba-Ahmed is young, enterprising and has invested heavily in education.
The former PDP presidential aspirant also served as the senator representing Kaduna North senatorial district from 2011 to 2012.
Peter Obi speaks on his ideal running mate ahead of 2023
Earlier, Obi opened up on his preference for a running mate, saying he will prefer a much younger person.
He stated that he will not give room for an old person as his running mate ahead of the 2023 polls.
The former Anambra state governor added that instead of recycling old hands who have been in power for years, he prefers a younger person, someone who has value to add to the country.