Tension in PDP as ex-Reps, speakers, commissioners defect to APC in key southern state
- The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has been hit with massive defections as some of its key chieftains joined the APC in Delta state ahead of the 2023 general election
- Among the defectors is Hon Mercy Almona Isei, former commissioner and three-time former member of the House of Representatives
- Hon Olisa Imegwu, also former member of the House of Reps and former Speaker, Delta State House of Assembly also reportedly dumped the PDP for the APC
Delta state – Three former members of the House of Representatives, a member of the Board of Trustees (BoT) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and a former commissioner have defected from the PDP to the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Delta state.
Leadership reported that two erstwhile speakers of the state assembly, lawmakers, five former commissioners and others also dumped the PDP for the APC.
The newspaper gave the names of the defectors as follows:
- Hon Mercy Almona Isei, former commissioner and three-time former member, House of Representatives
- Hon Daniel Reyenieju, three-time House of Reps member
- Hon Olisa Imegwu, former member, House of Reps and former Speaker, Delta State House of Assembly
- Hon Monday Igbuya, the immediate past speaker of the state legislature
- Chief Judith Enamuotor – member BoT of the PDP and a former commissioner
- Hon Timi Tonye, former commissioner and former member, Delta state assembly
- Hon Evans Iwurie, former commissioner and former assembly member
- Dr Karo Ilolo, former commissioner for urban renewal and youth development
- Chief Pius Ovbije, former commissioner of DESOPADEC
PAY ATTENTION: Сheck out news that is picked exactly for YOU ➡️ find the “Recommended for you” block on the home page and enjoy!
Eight former House of Assembly aspirants defect from PDP to APC in Zamfara
In a related development, some PDP members who contested for the Zamfara state’s House of Assembly seats have dumped the opposition party.
The PDP members defected from the party to the APC on Tuesday, January 17. A statement by Yusuf Idris, APC’s publicity secretary in Zamfara state, said that the former aspirants announced their defection from the PDP at a meeting with Governor Bello Matawalle in Gusau.
Idris noted that all the former aspirants for the state’s House of Assembly had participated in various PDP primary elections in their respective constituencies across the state.