2023 polls: 10 hidden facts to know about Atiku Abubakar
- The presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar, has been a crucial part of Nigeria’s political history
- His involvement in politics dates back to the days of the military juntas and the earliest days of democracy in Nigeria
- Atiku will be heading to the 2023 polls on his sixth attempt to become Nigeria’s president after his first shot at the presidency 29 years ago
Less than 24 hours to the 2023 presidential elections, all 18 candidates are set to jostle for the votes of 87.2 million Nigerians who have their permanent voter’s card (PVC).
However, three candidates have been singled out as the major contenders for the much-anticipated-presidential polls.
These candidates are Bola Ahmed Tinubu of the ruling All Progressive Congress (APC), Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and Peter Obi of the Labour Party.
In this short piece, Legit.ng spotlights the presidential bannerman of the PDP, Atiku Abubakar.
PAY ATTENTION: Follow us on Instagram – get the most important news directly in your favourite app!
1. The PDP bannerman is 76 years old, and he first ran for the presidential seat in 1993 at the age of 47 years.
2. The Adamawa-born politician will be heading into his 6th poll seeking the presidential seat 29 years after his first attempt with unsuccessful attempts in 1993, 2007, 2011, 2015, and 2019.
4. It is also essential to know that Atiku ran for the governorship seat of his state in 1990 and 1996.
5. Atiku served as Vice President between 1999 to 2007 under the administration of ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo.
6. He is one of the leading pioneers who founded the Peoples Democratic Party in 1998.
7. Before Politics, Atiku was a renowned and celebrated custom officer who served meritoriously in Lagos before resigning at age 43 to join partisan politics under the wings of the late Musa Yar’adua.
8. At age 11, Atiku lost his father, and he was the only child of his parents (Mr and Mrs Garba Atiku Abdulkadir).
9. According to Wikipedia, Atiku has been married five times and divorced once. At present, he has four wives and 28 children.
10. He is a successful businessman and philanthropist whose investments cut across oil and gas, manufacturing, education, real estate and many others.
INEC Releases Final PVC Collection Data Ahead of 2023 Polls
Meanwhile, in preparation for Saturday, February 25, presidential polls, INEC has released its final data for PVC collection.
According to the data released by the commission on Thursday, February 23, no fewer than 87,209,007 persons successfully collected their PVCs.
The data also confirmed that 93,469,008 electorates registered for a PVC in the build-up to the election.